Sunday, May 23, 2010

...staying put

It's been a long time since I last wrote here, and I just realized I never did post the outcome of my candidacy for a marine genomics faculty position (discussed earlier here).

Obviously, it wasn't me who was selected. I probably would have written about that. After almost 10 months of waiting, the med school dean/committee picked a very accomplished researcher, big research group, Howard Hughes Professor, ~250 publications, yada, yada. Really, I was flattered to be recruited to apply, and then asked to interview; then to make it as a top 3 candidate was icing on the cake. But from what what I know about the person selected, and what I've heard from others associated with both the university and the government lab where the person's research group will be based, it was kind of a strange selection. His background and career, while stellar, did not really fit the requirements and qualifications that were originally advertised. I'm not trying to sound bitter, because I'm not, and I realize shifts in positions happen. I've also heard that restructuring at the school might have made it less attractive to make the jump for someone like me.

So, as far as I know, I'm not going anywhere. I have several good years left, so I'm finally acting on some opportunities to make some changes in my work situation, plus I'm now more determined to follow through on many of the goals for the research I've set.

No comments:

Post a Comment